[Rock-dev] LAN communication and WebService
Eduardo Elael
2014-05-14 15:46:43 UTC

I've actually two questions. First I need to stablish a communication
between two computers running Rock on a LAN, second I want to implement a
remote interaction between a Rock component and a Android application, my
first approach would be via WebService.

I've searched Rock libraries and components that implement these features,
but I wasn't able to find any.

Before developing my own component, I would like to know if there is a
"standard" way of doing.

Thanks in advance,
Eduardo Elael

Coppetec/LEAD
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

you would establish the connection between two rock enabled computers by using the cobra transport layer shipped with rock. See http://rock-robotics.org/stable/documentation/runtime/setup.html for documentation.

Using a web service for controlling rock from mobile devices is the right reflex. Unfortunately, there is no such thing available at the moment. But we are planning to implement one in the near future. Therefore, help would be more than welcome ;-).

The plan is to use:
* orocos.rb as low level api
* a light ruby web framework
* json and google protocol buffer as serializer / deserializer
* jquery (mobile) on the browser side
* websockets for transferring port data
* video streams for camera data

At the moment we are in the process of defining a draft for the WebService API

Greets
Alex
Hi,
I've actually two questions. First I need to stablish a communication between two computers running Rock on a LAN, second I want to implement a remote interaction between a Rock component and a Android application, my first approach would be via WebService.
I've searched Rock libraries and components that implement these features, but I wasn't able to find any.
Before developing my own component, I would like to know if there is a "standard" way of doing.
Thanks in advance,
Eduardo Elael
Coppetec/LEAD
Dipl.-Ing. Alexander Duda
Unterwasserrobotik
Robotics Innovation Center

Hauptgesch?ftsstelle Standort Bremen:
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany

Tel.: +49 421 178 45-6620
Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
Fax: +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
E-Mail: Alexander.Duda at dfki.de

Firmensitz: Trippstadter Stra?e 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
(Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hi Eduardo,
Post by Eduardo Elael
First I need to stablish a communication
between two computers running Rock on a LAN
Rock components are capable of using corba to communicate, thus they can
run on different machines in a network.

All you need is a naming service, Rock can use the corba naming service
on a "master" machine:
http://rock-robotics.org/master/documentation/runtime/setup.html

Or use avahi as naming service:
http://www.rock-robotics.org/master/documentation/advanced_tutorials/700_nameservice.html
Post by Eduardo Elael
second I want to implement
a remote interaction between a Rock component and a Android application,
my first approach would be via WebService.
Alex already told you about our plans. In case you don't want to wait,
there is a "not so nice" but working solution using ruby
websocket-eventmachine-server on the rock side and html5 websockets in a
browser.

But all the marshalling and parsing has to be defined manually in ruby
and Javascript. The usability depends on the task you want to solve.
I can provide you some more information in case this is an option

Another Idea (untested and not well invertigated) is to use the rock-ros
bridge
(http://www.rock-robotics.org/master/documentation/ros/index.html) and
ROS for android (http://wiki.ros.org/android).

But i have no idea whether ROS for android is compatible to the normal
ROS used by the bridge.

Best, Steffen
Post by Eduardo Elael
Hi,
I've actually two questions. First I need to stablish a communication
between two computers running Rock on a LAN, second I want to implement
a remote interaction between a Rock component and a Android application,
my first approach would be via WebService.
I've searched Rock libraries and components that implement these
features, but I wasn't able to find any.
Before developing my own component, I would like to know if there is a
"standard" way of doing.
Thanks in advance,
Eduardo Elael
Coppetec/LEAD
Steffen Planthaber
Weltraumrobotik

Besuchsadresse der Nebengesch?ftstelle:
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 5
28359 Bremen, Germany

Postadresse der Hauptgesch?ftsstelle Standort Bremen:
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany

Tel.: +49 421 178 45-4125

Sylvain Joyeux
2014-05-14 16:49:56 UTC
Hi guys.

Could you actually put the discussion(s) about the webservice API somewhere
public ? Do you have anybody to implement it ATM ?

Sylvain

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Steffen Planthaber <
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Hi Eduardo,
Post by Eduardo Elael
[...]
Hi,
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Could you actually put the discussion(s) about the webservice API
somewhere public ? Do you have anybody to implement it ATM ?
I don't think there is anything written down so far. It would be a good Idea to create a wiki page and for alex and steffen to put what is available and that we can agree on a way to proceed here. I am also interested in this and would be willing to help.

Cheers,

Jakob
Alexander Duda

Some news ...

I'll need something like that Real Soon... So I am looking into it.

I'll write the wiki page and update the ML :P

Sylvain
Am 15.05.2014 um 09:02 schrieb Jakob Schwendner <jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Could you actually put the discussion(s) about the webservice API
somewhere public ? Do you have anybody to implement it ATM ?
I don't think there is anything written down so far. It would be a good
Idea to create a wiki page and for alex and steffen to put what is
available and that we can agree on a way to proceed here. I am also
interested in this and would be willing to help.
Cheers,
Jakob

I just started a wiki page and added some content:

https://rock.opendfki.de/wiki/WikiStart/OngoingWork/WebService

Best,
Steffen
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Alexander Duda <Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Post by Jakob Schwendner
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Could you actually put the discussion(s) about the webservice API
somewhere public ? Do you have anybody to implement it ATM ?
I don't think there is anything written down so far. It would be a
good Idea to create a wiki page and for alex and steffen to put
what is available and that we can agree on a way to proceed here.
I am also interested in this and would be willing to help.
Cheers,
Jakob
Dipl.-Ing. Alexander Duda
Unterwasserrobotik
Robotics Innovation Center
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany
Tel.: +49 421 178 45-6620 <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-6620>
Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0 <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-0>
Fax: +49 421 178 45-4150 <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-4150> (Faxe
bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
E-Mail: Alexander.Duda at dfki.de <mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de>

Sylvain Joyeux
2014-05-27 12:15:46 UTC
Hey. Thanks !

I've updated the page with some comments / additions.

Sylvain

Hi,
-----------
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Stra?e 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
(Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3
--
Steffen Planthaber
Weltraumrobotik
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 5
28359 Bremen, Germany
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany
Tel.: +49 421 178 45-4125
Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
Fax: +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
Hi Sylvain,

In TransTerrA we (I) have some time to tackle this issue.

I think the first thing is to add to_json() in typelib types, which is
also independent to the other work items (selet a server implementation
etc.).

Alex told me you might already have done some work into that direction.
Is that true?

Do you think that is the right thing to start with?

Best, Steffen
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
<jakob.schwendner at dfki.de <mailto:jakob.schwendner at dfki.de>
E-Mail: Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de> <mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de>__>
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Stra?e 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
(Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3
--
Steffen Planthaber
Weltraumrobotik
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 5
28359 Bremen, Germany
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany
Tel.: +49 421 178 45-4125 <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-4125>
E-Mail: Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de <mailto:Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de>
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------

Steffen Planthaber

Sylvain Joyeux
2014-07-10 12:02:16 UTC
Well ... It was maybe not intended, but the right thing to do.

I am done with a webapp that allows to inspect tasks and read ports in both
polling and streaming modes (polling when using HTTP, streaming when using
websockets). I intend to push it to a branch today and maybe do a little
demo video if I have the time.

Sylvain

E-Mail: Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de> <mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de>__>
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Kuenstliche Intelligenz
GmbH
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Stra?e 122, D-67663
Kaiserslautern
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang
Wahlster
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
(Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A.
Aukes
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Stra?e 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
(Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
--
Steffen Planthaber
Weltraumrobotik
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 5
28359 Bremen, Germany
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany
Tel.: +49 421 178 45-4125
Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
Fax: +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
So ... No demo video because the laptop I have makes choppy sound :(

Anyways, it is now pushed on branches and PRs ... The relevant things you
have to pull are there:

https://gist.github.com/doudou/06af53e022064d31f5ad

In addition, you will need to pull
https://github.com/rock-core/package_set/pull/8 and run autoproj osdeps to
install the required dependencies.

The best way forward is IMO that you take care of the client-side HTML and
javascript -- since you seem to be confident about it. Once you have
something, I can integrate it in a simple sinatra app (or even pure rack)
so that one can get the files served by the HTTP server directly.

I you have some troubles, please add them as comments in the relevant pull
requests (there is one per branch). If you don't know from which package
the problem comes, just add it there
https://github.com/rock-core/tools-orocosrb/pull/3

Sylvain

E-Mail: Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Stra?e 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
(Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
--
Steffen Planthaber
Weltraumrobotik
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 5
28359 Bremen, Germany
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany
Tel.: +49 421 178 45-4125
Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
Fax: +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Of course, I forgot the most important parts ,,,

To start the app, run
rock-webapp

The default port is 9292

The API is under the tasks/ namespace and the entry points are quite
self-documenting:

https://github.com/rock-core/tools-orocosrb/blob/webapp/lib/orocos/webapp/tasks.rb

For instance,

GET http://localhost:9292/tasks/
will list the available tasks and

GET http://localhost:9292/tasks/localhost/camera
will return information about a 'camera' task on the localhost name service.

The representation of each returned object is documented either in typelib
(the #to_h and #to_simple_value methods) or in orogen (the #to_h methods).
We'll have to gather all in a single point to get a proper API
documentation ...

You can stream the samples from a port by opening the entry point using a
websocket instead of HTTP (using the ws:// URL instead of http:// URL)

Sylvain

E-Mail: Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Stra?e 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
(Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
--
Steffen Planthaber
Weltraumrobotik
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 5
28359 Bremen, Germany
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany
Tel.: +49 421 178 45-4125
Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
Fax: +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

I Managed to put the runnung tasks into an jQueryUI widget (see screenshot)

You can also try it: https://github.com/planthaber/rock-webapp (open the
index.html in the html folder).
You need to add the pull request
https://github.com/rock-core/tools-orocosrb/pull/5

and add
"rack-cors: gem"
to your remotes/rock.core/osdep.yml

Then, I tried to obtain the task information:
"http://localhost:9292/tasks/localhost/sherpa_tt_ft"

But all i get is a:
"Internal server error"

In case the task does not exits I get a different message:
{"error":"cannot find localhost/sherpa_tt_fts on the registered name
services"}

Best, Steffen
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Sylvain Joyeux <bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Is that true?
Do you think that is the right thing to start with?
Best, Steffen
<Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de>
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de <mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de>>
<jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
<mailto:jakob.schwendner at dfki.de>
<mailto:jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
<mailto:jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Could you actually put the
discussion(s) about the
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
webservice API
somewhere public ? Do you have
anybody to implement
Post by Steffen Planthaber
it ATM ?
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
proceed here.
I am also interested in this and would
be willing to help.
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Cheers,
Jakob
<mailto:Rock-dev at dfki.de
<mailto:Rock-dev at dfki.de> <mailto:Rock-dev at dfki.de
<mailto:Rock-dev at dfki.de>>>
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
http://www.dfki.de/mailman/__cgi-bin/listinfo/rock-dev
Post by Steffen Planthaber
--
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
<tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-__6620>
Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
<tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-0> <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-0>
E-Mail: Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
<mailto:Alexander.Duda at dfki.de>>__>
http://www.dfki.de/robotik
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Kaiserslautern (HRB
2313)
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3
--
Steffen Planthaber
Weltraumrobotik
E-Mail: Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
<mailto:Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de>
<mailto:Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
Post by Steffen Planthaber
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3
------------------------------__------------------------------__-----------
--
Steffen Planthaber
Weltraumrobotik
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra??e 5
28359 Bremen, Germany
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra??e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany
Tel.: +49 421 178 45-4125 <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-4125>
Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0 <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-0>
Fax: +49 421 178 45-4150
<tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-4150> (Faxe bitte namentlich
kennzeichnen)

E-Mail: Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de

Firmensitz: Trippstadter Stra??e 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
(Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3

Ein Dateianhang mit Bin???rdaten wurde abgetrennt...
Dateiname : JS_taskmanager.png
Dateityp : image/png
Dateigr??????e : 86458 bytes
Beschreibung: nicht verf???gbar