[Rock-dev] buildconf-all / tools-lib_manager
Sylvain Joyeux
2014-09-18 15:21:48 UTC
tools-lib_manager ? I guess that it is your pick for Rock's plugin
system... If you want to continue making decisions this important with
zero *public* discussion [1], you could at refrain from asking me to
be part of it.

Sylvain

[1] Yes, I know, "you discussed it internally".
HEy,
can you fork
git at github.com:jmachowinski/tools-lib_manager.git
and
git at github.com:jmachowinski/buildconf-all.git
into the rock-core organization ?
Thanks
Janosch
--
Dipl. Inf. Janosch Machowinski
SAR- & Sicherheitsrobotik
E-Mail: jmachowinski at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Janosch Machowinski
2014-09-18 15:24:47 UTC
Actually you were still in Bremen, when we decided
this. It is the mars plugin lib. But feel free to offer
alternatives.
Greetings
Janosch
E-Mail: jmachowinski at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Dipl. Inf. Janosch Machowinski
SAR- & Sicherheitsrobotik

Universit?t Bremen
FB 3 - Mathematik und Informatik
AG Robotik
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 1
28359 Bremen, Germany

Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-6611

Besuchsadresse der Nebengesch?ftstelle:
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 5
28359 Bremen, Germany

Tel.: +49 421 178 45-6614
Empfang: +49 421 178 45-6600
Fax: +49 421 178 45-4150
E-Mail: jmachowinski at informatik.uni-bremen.de

Sylvain Joyeux
2014-09-18 15:44:07 UTC
On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Janosch Machowinski
Post by Janosch Machowinski
Actually you were still in Bremen, when we decided
this.
I might have been in Bremen, now it does not mean that I was part of
the discussion. This is why these discussions should be *first* done
on the wiki + ML. Not everyone can be at a meeting (especially not any
non-DFKI person), and for decisions this important, *taking the time
to make the right decision* is critical. This impacts all of rock.
Libraries and framework alike. And if it turns out to be the wrong
decision, switching plugin systems is hell.

Moreover, if something has been discussed more than 6 months ago,
refreshing everyone about it before doing it would be a good idea -
especially if there are no written trace - because (1) we all remember
what we want to remember after 6 months and (2) things might have
changed since then.

I have always been against using anything home-grown, because having
our own in-house plugin system for something as big as rock is just
plain dumb. I also already offered that we should DEFINITELY try to
have a plugin system compatible with ROS'pluginlib. This is hopefully
written somewhere in the framework wiki.

https://github.com/ros/pluginlib/ is almost ros-independent. What's
basically missing is to replace the ROS console messages by
base/console_bridge (a change which could very well be accepted
upstream), get rid of catkin (might be accepted upstream) and have a
different way to find the XML description files than using
ros::package. This is battle-hardened code (having been used for the
last 6 ROS releases) and a *lot* more widespread than lib_manager.

Sylvain
Janosch Machowinski
2014-09-18 18:45:09 UTC
Actually, we don't want pluginlib at all.
What we want is :
https://github.com/ros/class_loader

Which actually looks like a fine library.
Janosch
Martin Zenzes
2014-09-19 07:56:58 UTC
Just my two cents: Doing Frameworks means doing things right. Allowing
many persons to profit from the work of smaller subgroup. And this takes
time... Quick-Hacks have no place in a Framework...
Post by Sylvain Joyeux
[...]
M.Sc. Martin Zenzes
Space Robotics

Hauptgesch?ftsstelle Standort Bremen:
DFKI GmbH
Robotics Innovation Center
Robert-Hooke-Stra?e 5
28359 Bremen, Germany

Phone: +49 (0) 421 178 45 - 6658
Fax: +49 (0) 421 178 45 - 4150
E-Mail: martin.zenzes at dfki.de

Firmensitz: Trippstadter Stra?e 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
(Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148646973
Steuernummer: 19/673/0060/3
Sylvain Joyeux
2014-09-20 20:11:30 UTC
Good catch, but we want both. class_loader is the loading mechanism,
pluginlib is the discovery mechanism. You need both to make a plugin
system.

Sylvain